Sega Channel Cassette ?

edited December 1969 in Classic Systems
Found this at a flea market but need info on it and is it rare?<br /><br />IM000400.JPG<br /><br />Regards<br /><br />

Comments

• That is fake.
  • Yes, it's rare. That the Sega Channel cable box. Back in the mid-90's Sega partnered with some of the larger cable TV companies to offer pay-to-play digital game distribution service. Back then the only viable way to do that was with a highspeed data transmission interface, but broadband internet was still only a pipe dream enjoyed by government agencies at that point in time, so Sega worked with cable companies to devise a method of distributing games on demand through the cable TV lines. Those modem carts are rare as they were not sold, you leased them. And the cable compaines required those to be returned or they'd fine you a $200 penalty for stolen assets. So again, yes that is rare.
  • Sega Channel was the shit!
  • crap, I saw one of those for $5 one time, I figured it was useless now so I didn't buy it, Didn't realize it was so rare.
  • Thanks for the info Tweeg, and the picture's NOT fake ok<br /><br />any guess on it's price?<br /><br />Regards<br />
  • well the thing is, its a rare item but theres no usage value on it because the service doesnt exist anymore
  • Bot a clue really, might try looking up current and/or closed listings for them on ChaseTheChuckWagon and Ebay to get an idea. But as ckyfreak22 has said, it's actually quite useless aside from being a rare collectors item.
  • yep useless.  neighbors still have there sega channel unit plug'd in, probably a fire hazard
  • This is sorta like the X-band game modem. If you find one, its pretty much useless, because the service needed to support it has been shut down. But it is a very cool collectors item, just to claim that you have one.
  • Damn. Sega was very much ahead of its time. Did it ever caught on at all, this?
  • on 1285355507:
    <br />This is sorta like the X-band game modem. If you find one, its pretty much useless, because the service needed to support it has been shut down. But it is a very cool collectors item, just to claim that you have one.<br />
    <br />X-Band isn't useless! It has a built-in "Fish Pong" game.  :lol:
  • I didnt know that! Perhaps i should try to prowl eBay and find me one?