Mac or PC

edited December 1969 in Computers
Which is better mac or windows<br />Im on the side of mac

Comments

• Maddox and I say PC.
  • I like being able to play games so pc , though i could always run windows on a mac if i wanted to
  • Well Justin Long rules, so I'll say Mac...<br /><br /><br />Nah, PC. But if I was a video editor or had a need to edit videos, it'd be a Mac.
  • thats def the case... i have to use Final Cut Pro for school... and thats the only way i'll use a mac
  • Pc.... but for professional video/audio/image editing... definitely mac.
  • Since I actually enjoy playing games on my computer, I'm going with PC.
  • I use both.
  • I say PC because it is simple and MAC because it has nice Animation! :tooth:
  • I say PC all the way, even for the professional software, which I have.  Professional=<br />Audio-NTrack Studio<br />Video-Sony Vegas<br />Pictures-The Gimp, but to keep it simple I use Paint.NET.
  • The Gimp is far from being professional-grade software. Really, I've tried using it, and everything just feels so restrictive when compared to any version of Photoshop that's been released in the past eight years. I love Paint.NET, but it, too, is still just feels too restrictive in comparison to Photoshop.<br /><br />Anyway, I'm on PC's side. Really, most things Mac-related just make me want to punch someone in the throat. The damn things are really no different from PC's, aside from the fact that Apple has so much control over the actual hardware aspect of things that the machines are certainly more reliable from a software stability standpoint. Still, Windows' reliability and stability certainly isn't anything to scoff at. I blame third-party software vendors, personally, as Vista support is pretty much inferior to that of XP, with most developers just throwing together unoptimized garbage and hoping for the best. Plus, despite 64-bit Vista being very solid, device drivers from major companies such as NVIDIA are just horse shit, and 64-bit versions of certain software is just completely missing. (Really, Adobe, getting your fucking heads out of your asses.)<br /><br />Even the game performance in Vista is disappointing. Still, I use XP, and I've never found myself unable to find the software that I need for it, whether it be for image/sound/video editing or gaming, among other things. Macs (and Apple in generally) really just garner too much praise. Yeah, of course it's more stable. Apple has complete control over the hardware side of things that it's just sick. The only thing keeping Mac OS from running on anything other than Macs is Apple's insistence on keeping it that way. Mac reliability and stability would turn to complete shit if it supported even a quarter of the hardware that Windows does.
  • Photoshop=the shit. <br /><br />I used to be a fan om Mac for it being so much better looking then XP. But then came Vista. I'm running the 64-bit version on a monster computer now and I love everything about it. I never had any driver problems so far and I have a Geforce 8800GTS 512 installed. I run everything on the highest settings no problemo (except for Crysis). <br /><br />Game performance in Vista isn't so much worse, not if you have a fast computer. It's the only way to play games in DirectX10 anyway, so there isn't much point in sticking to XP in terms of games. <br /><br /><br />People seem to bitch a lot about vista, but I'm very happy with it. It's the best Windows version so far. I would never install vista on a non-recent PC though. It's really made for the fast dual- and quad cores with plenty of RAM (I have 4GB) and a fast video card.
  • on 1213141953:
    Photoshop=the shit. <br /><br />I used to be a fan om Mac for it being so much better looking then XP. But then came Vista. I'm running the 64-bit version on a monster computer now and I love everything about it. I never had any driver problems so far and I have a Geforce 8800GTS 512 installed. I run everything on the highest settings no problemo (except for Crysis). <br /><br />Game performance in Vista isn't so much worse, not if you have a fast computer. It's the only way to play games in DirectX10 anyway, so there isn't much point in sticking to XP in terms of games. <br /><br /><br />People seem to bitch a lot about vista, but I'm very happy with it. It's the best Windows version so far. I would never install vista on a non-recent PC though. It's really made for the fast dual- and quad cores with plenty of RAM (I have 4GB) and a fast video card.
    <br /><br />Dick, I assure you that my PC is more than capable of running Vista. I, too, have 4GB of RAM, and I have a 3.01GHz Athlon 64 X2 processor and a 768MB GeForce 8800 GTX, and Vista isn't very stable on it. Even games that aren't terribly demanding will eventually crash. And 64-bit Vista is a freaking nightmare. I bought Ultimate, and it's pretty much sitting on my desk unused, since something as simple as opening up my Start menu can often cause the screen to go black, with no option but to reset the system from the tower. Really, I'm quite disgusted with NVIDIA.
  • What you tell me here is exactly the opposite of my experience. It's perfectly stable, and games run smooth. The graphics card and processor you own are both known to get quite hot, is your case properly ventilated? My graphics card gets a lot hotter too when I run DirectX 10 games.
  • on 1213176640:
    What you tell me here is exactly the opposite of my experience. It's perfectly stable, and games run smooth. The graphics card and processor you own are both known to get quite hot, is your case properly ventilated? My graphics card gets a lot hotter too when I run DirectX 10 games.
    <br /><br />Oh yeah...it's definitely well-ventilated. I bought a case that's specifically designed with a ton of ventilation, and I have five 120mm fans going. The drivers for the 8800 GTX are completely different from the ones for the 8800 GTS. Again, it's sad that NVIDIA can't properly support a $600 video card.  I know that DirectX10 isn't at fault, because Vista, itself, used DirectX9 for desktop applications and whatnot. It used DirectX10 solely for gaming. The 32-bit Vista drivers are better, but there are still unexcusable crashes on games that don't even stress the computer much (i.e. RtCW).<br /><br />I know that it's the video card, because the computer runs perfectly fine until I install those damn video card drivers. I'll probably eventually sell this video card and buy the best Radeon card that I can find.<br /><br />By the way, you might get a kick out of this:<br /><br />http://answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080206190224AAjWZvj
  • That topic is hilarious.<br /><br />The 8800GTX and the old 8800GTS have the G80 chip, the 9800GTX and the new 8800GTS have the G92 chip. Main difference is that it gets less hot. 8800GTX is also one bad mofo. You don't have these problems on XP? I find it strange your problem. The 8-series as a whole, has an awesome reputation in terms of speed and stability, also on Vista.
  • on 1213470103:
    That topic is hilarious.<br /><br />The 8800GTX and the old 8800GTS have the G80 chip, the 9800GTX and the new 8800GTS have the G92 chip. Main difference is that it gets less hot. 8800GTX is also one bad mofo. You don't have these problems on XP? I find it strange your problem. The 8-series as a whole, has an awesome reputation in terms of speed and stability, also on Vista.
    <br /><br />No, XP is fine, aside from with Call of Duty 4, which crashes randomly. I'm using a 3.01GHz Athlon 64 X2, which I couldn't imagine being a problem. I've done every fix for CoD4 that I could find, and nothing allows me to play through that game. It's a shame, too, because I played through a good bit of it, and it's fucking awesome.
  • Have you installed the absolute latest version of the Nvidia driver suite from Nvidia's website? If not it should fix your problem kevinski.<br /><br />I'm on the PC side all the way. True the Mac includes a very nice video editing suite, but the PC also has nice video editing suites, just they're sold seperately.<br /><br />Also, if you have hardware issues with a Mac your usually looking at blowing a whole paycheck on the repairs. Whereas with a PC, hardware replacement is typically inexpensive.<br /><br />At the compputer store/repair shop I work at today the management announced that due to the sheer amount of time it takes just to dismantle Mac's in ganeral that we're, as of today, we will no longer repair a Mac before doing a $35 evaluation. And, if we decide after the evaluation that we will offer to do the repair we will now charge $20 more on the base repair fee for Mac's. Before today we were charging the same base repair fee for both PC's and Mac's and no evaluation fee.<br /><br />In the last three weeks we've had three Mac's in for repair and all of them were back in our shop within a week of leaving with completely new hardware problems. And these are not cheapt to fix. As already mentioned, Apple controls all aspects of Mac hardware. Replacement parts are not openly available from Apple, you have to go through one of their licensed hardware vendors to buy new parts, and the problem with that it that there's literally only a handful of such vendors in the entire country! And these people are not honest either! We've paid insane prices for things like replacemnt power supplies only to receive "refurbished" (more like used) parts. Ebay, which tends to be the last resort for hard to find PC parts rarely even has the Mac parts we need.<br /><br />What it all comes down to is this, Mac's have become nothing more than a glorified status symbol.<br /><br />Did you know that when CompUSA first announced it was going to close its US locations that Apple began taking offers from other national retailers to select which one they would allow to become their new retailer? And yes, you read that correctly, I did say "allow". Radio Shack and Best Buy both put in to fill the position, but Radio Shack, whcih was the naturally best choice was rejected because "Radio Shack stores are not visually appealing. It would detract from the aesthetic appeal of our product to have them offered in such a bland enviroment.". This is what I was told, by a now retired Radio Shack district manager, was Apple's response to Radio Shack in regard to creating an Apple section in the 4,000+ Radio Shack stores nation wide.
  • well macs are always better in my opinion.. but more expensive<br />if u get viruses, prob get a mac, and they are overall much faster<br />if money isnt an issue, id get a mac for sure
  • Macs get viruses too. The authors don't care about Macs as much because a small % of people use them whereas millions of individuals and businesses use Windows.<br /><br />Apple: Security by Obscurity.
  • linux.jpg<br /><br /> Tux would like to have a word. :groovin:
  • his name is tux...
  • Beer? HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!<br /> gh
  • welcome back faggot.
  • Snowflake warrior aka ChikkenLittle is banned for a week. Also a final warning because the next one will be permanent.
  • I find that PC's are wonderful for all purposes EXCEPT for any school crap.  If Apple and Microsoft would merge, I would love it because (see 1st sentence).<br />By the way, do they have Directx 10 out?
  • I believe so, I had to download a new one recently in order to play an on-line game, not sure if it was 10 or not though.
  • DX10 is exclusive to Vista on up. I believe Windows 7 will be getting DX 11.